Wednesday, April 9, 2014

2012 Tommy Ruff Barossa Valley Syrah Mourvedre

Always a sucker for a Mourvedre mix. So this is a wine you drink and think , 'Ok, from a master/mistress maker'. Deep, impenetrable ruby red in colour at its centre, though translucent at its edges. In perfume there's pepper on a thin jam. Let it open up. But the thinness and short length are part of its charm, if that's what you're into and it's what I'm into. My partner said great, even before he knew the price which is around $29. But this is 'wild ferment' = a pretty-much descriptor of success. The label (Tommy Ruff is a fish, but also ' A nickname at school') is white on black with a kind of thin traditional printing or hand-writing. From Shobbrok Wines: 'handmade', 'natural'. I think Tom Shobbrok is the winemaker. I joined up to the newsletter! This wine is a reason to live, and live now. (Bought from the very discerning Jared Dixon of Clunes General Store and Cellars.) By the way: I'm not a fan of stemless glasses as pictured with bottle – though I've got 'em (but free with some bottle buy or other).

No comments:

Post a Comment