Saturday, August 18, 2018

2016 Domaine La Serre Languedoc Picpoul de pinet and 2016 Clomarin Picpoul De Pinet


Picpoul de pinet: have you heard of it? No! Nor have I. But I predict its rise and rise. The web tells me that Picpoul de Pinet is grown at Cowra. Picpoul de Pinet (pronounced Pick-Pool de Pee-Nay) is a white wine appellation in the Languedoc for wines made exclusively from Piquepoul Blanc grape variety. I bought a 2016 Domaine La Serre Languedoc Picpoul de Pinet from a bottle shop chain in North Adelaide, on a family-visit-sojourn, because it was the first time I had seen/heard of the grape: it took me a moment to understand that it was the grape name. There is honey/mead in the perfume and on the palate. But it is dry with depth. Not sweet in itself, but may be good with dessert ... like honey cake? But then it is dry. Marsanne-ish? A light gold in colour. Just savoury: wondering what savoury food you'd have with it. Lobster/prawns? But let me say: Languedoc: would you not drink any wine from that place. Via a local Northern Rivers hotel/resort is a 2016 Clomarin Picpoul De Pinet, gold in colour, with a hallucinatory greenish edge. It smells of nut butter like a Chardy, and something sweet with a vague end of musk. A kind of smoky sweetness. The palate is dry but with melon depth/expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment